Spotting Arthritis & Protecting Your Joints
- Morning stiffness lasting 30 minutes or less.
- Joint pain or tenderness that is constant or that comes and goes.
- Not being able to move a joint in the normal way.
- Weakness and joint pain that can't be explained.
Protecting Your Joints
- Listen to your body and stop any activity that causes ongoing pain.
- Alternate heavy or repeated tasks with easy tasks or breaks in your daily schedule. Change tasks often.
- Use larger, stronger joints to carry loads. For example, carry a purse on your shoulder instead of with your fingers.
- Don't remain in the same position for a long time; get up and walk around periodically.