Most Americans consume more salt than they need. The recommended amount is less than 2.4 grams of sodium (or 1 teaspoon of table salt a day). This printable guide can help you stay under your daily quota.
Choose more often:
- Skinless chicken and turkey, lean meat and fish
- Skim or 1% milk, evaporated skim milk, lower-sodium cheese
- Low-sodium cereals
- Plain rice and noodles
- Fresh, frozen, or no salt added canned vegetables
- Fresh fruit
- Soups: lower or reduced in sodium
- Margarine, vegetable oils
*Read the food label to choose those lower in sodium.
**Rinse canned fish or vegetables before using.